Saturday, May 21, 2016

Celebrating 1!

Today's post has nothing to do with our travels, but is all about a little someone  who takes up such a big part of my heart! Our sweet Nolan boy.

How quickly a time has gone by! This day last year started out as what I thought would be a typical Thursday. I enjoyed a quiet morning with my Mom and Halle, playing at the park. In the afternoon I had a little nap before doing a few groceries and then cuddling up on the couch with Halle to watch some of her favourite shows. I felt a little off, but nothing that signified to me that I would be welcoming a son later in the evening.


Nolan Newborn

After dinner we all joined Brett at his softball game, and by the time we were leaving the softball field I felt some minor cramps. We arrived home just before 9 and at 10:48 that evening I was holding my baby boy for the first time.


IMG_0008

His birth was fast and furious, but I look back on it fondly. For the most part, it went exactly how I wanted and it was the type of birth that made me feel strong and empowered afterwards. From the start we seemed to fall nicely into a routine as a family 4, and Halle could not love him more.


Nolan Newborn


Family Photos - Oct 2015

I've loved watching him grow into the stubborn, funny, smart, loving one year old that we have today. He's so different from his sister at this age, but still has a startling amount of similarities to her.

My heart melts when he smiles and points at me and says "Mama", and I laugh every time he shakes his head "No!" at us - especially when we know he means "yes". He's been pretty easy going and seems to adapted nicely to our new lifestyle.


Nolan 7 Months

He's been slower on walking and talking than his sister, but he always lets us know exactly what he wants. The other day when we arrived in Las Vegas, he walked a long distance assisted for the first time and it made me so excited.

The other day I thought back to the whole year we spent trying to add to our family. At the time each negative pregnancy test was heartbreaking and frustrating. The months seemed to drag. Now, a year after he arrived, I realize how short that year actually was and I know that he was well worth the wait that we did endure. We received the perfect addition to this family unit!

Nolan 7 Months

It's a little bittersweet knowing that he's 1 now. Our baby is no longer a baby, and very quickly becoming a toddler. He's brought so much more love, laughter and joy to our little family and we all look forward to watching him grow. 

Happy Birthday my sweet Nolan! I love you so much and I'm so thankful to wake up to your tiny face every day! 

1 comment: